Hi Cathy.

I've used an HR-2600 with a Microwave Modules 2-meter transverter in the past
with very good results.  I'm sure it can be used with the Elecraft transverter
using an approach similar to the following:

Remove the top cover of the HR-2600.  Towards the rear of the unit you'll find
three prongs supporting a small double-sided PC board.  This board connects
+-Vcc to the transmitter's driver and final power amplifier transistors.

Pull the board out, and solder a jumper between the left-most and right-most
prongs down toward the base of each prong.  This will permanently connect +-Vcc
to the driver transistor with the board removed.

In this configuration, the driver transistor will receive operating power, but
the final amplifier will not.  The output of the transmitter will now be in the
tens of milliwatts region (a guess).

To bring the transmitter power back to 25-watts, simply re-insert the board
into the prongs.

Bob's your uncle.  :-)

Just be aware that in this configuration, the HR-2600 is operating without ALC,
so you may need to back off from the microphone a bit.  Gauge your speaking
volume by the action of the bar graphs on the front of the rig.  The AM mode
probably won't work (but who cares?).

I relied on my transverter's RF-actuated TX/RX switching, but it's probably
best to dig inside the HR-2600 and bring a "hard keyed" PTT line out to the
transverter.  Several SSB contacts I made commented that they thought I was
using VOX, when in reality, I wasn't.  Perhaps the TX/RX threshold in my
transverter was a bit high.

This approach to 2-meter SSB worked well for me.  I was even able to use the
HR-2600's scanning feature to listen for band openings and "CQs".  If the rig
had extended coverage to 30 MHz, I would have made more use of it in the
2-meter satellite sub-band.

73, de John, KD2BD

Visit John on the Web at:

        http://kd2bd.ham.org/