Larry Phipps wrote:
You can also fine tune the formula based on DC measurement of the resistance of the bottom half of the load. The formula assumes an exact 25.0 ohms for the bottom half of the load.

Also, measure the resistance at the temperature you will be using for testing. You can see a graph from my HP VNA at www.telepostinc.com/loads.html for both the DL-1 and a Caddock MP930 thick film resistor mounted on a heat sink. The DL-1 shows some variation with temp... about 0.5 ohm from room temp to 1 min key down at 10W. The Caddock showed less, but I seem to have misplaced the graph for it.

If you take these and Don's caveats into account, the results should be pretty good, especially near the high power limit of the load where the diode drop becomes a less significant factor.

Larry N8LP

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Ed,

Yes, the formula in the DL1 manual is off a bit - there was some discussion
about that on the reflector about 6 months ago.

As I calculate, the correct formula is P(watts)=(1.414(V(volts)+0.15))^2/50
Or easier expressed as P=2(V+0.15)^2/50 (I am not certain why the square
root of 2 (1.414) appeared inside the term to be squared - much easier just
to square it and move it outside).

The diode drop must be added to the voltage read on the DMM for low power
measurements.
If you wish better accuracy, measure the actual forward voltage drop across
your particular diode, they will vary a bit from diode to diode.  Use the
measured value in place of the 0.15 factor in the formulas above.

73,
Don W3FPR