I understood the markings. I just had misgivings about the equivalence of the plastic blue caps and the disc ceramic NPO types that I am more familiar with. I do find the near microscopic print on these little caps to be quite a challenge - even with a large magnifying glass. I can hardly imagine what lies ahead with SMD's - which will surely replace all these through-the-hole type components. Presumably my new SMD soldering station will include a microscope along with the robotic articulated digits to manipulate the components.

73,
Doug -- KØDXV

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Doug,

Component markings have changed a lot over the years.  I would suggest that
you refer to the information in the ARRL Handbook on component markings for
an update on the various markings that are in current (and older) use.

Yes, a capacitor marked '470' is a 47 pf capacitor.  The little blue (or
yellow) ones will do just fine.  The old disc ceramics with the black mark
on the top are NPO type, which has the same thermal characteristics as the
'C0G' type.

It is not good practice to try to identify a component by its color - that
could change at the whim of the manufacturer, learning the current markings
for components is the only way I know to be certain about the designations.

73,
Don W3FPR