John,

There are finer tips for the Hakko 808. The A1003 tip is much smaller (about half the diameter) than the standard one supplied. I have rarely had to pull out the role of Chem-wick to get a component out - but it happens occasionally.

http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko808.html#nozzles

73, Doug -- K0DXV

John Reiser wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed that lots of folks on this list praise highly the Hakko 808
desoldering tool.  My question is: which tip do you all use?

I own a Hakko 808, and find it too clumsy with the tip that comes with it to be much
use for Elecraft and other kit boards.  For example, I believe it would be
completely useless for doing the 80-30 mod to the KX1.  I have tried the tool, and
don't like it.  I hardly ever use it anymore.  I have come to much prefer 1/10"
Chem-wick for any desoldering that I have had to do.

It occurs to me that maybe with a longer or thinner tip the Hakko might live up
to its reputation.  But which one, and where does one acquire it?

Thanks and 73,

John, W2GW