73, doug

   Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:21:43 -0700
   From: Doug Person <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   John,

   There are finer tips for the Hakko 808.  The A1003 tip is much smaller
   (about half the diameter) than the standard one supplied.    I have
   rarely had to pull out the role of Chem-wick to get a component out -
   but it happens occasionally.

   http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko808.html#nozzles

   73, Doug -- K0DXV

   John Reiser wrote:
   > Hi,
   >
   > I've noticed that lots of folks on this list praise highly the Hakko 808
desoldering tool.  My question is: which tip do you all use?

   > I own a Hakko 808, and find it too clumsy with the tip that comes with it
to be much use for Elecraft and other kit boards.  For example, I believe it
would be completely useless for doing the 80-30 mod to the KX1.  I have tried
the tool, and don't like it.  I hardly ever use it anymore.  I have come to
much prefer 1/10" Chem-wick for any desoldering that I have had to do.

   > It occurs to me that maybe with a longer or thinner tip the Hakko might
live up to its reputation.  But which one, and where does one acquire it?