Frank,

Unfortunately the Heil HC-4 and HC-5 elements have lower output than typical
mics.  There is one in the Handi-Mic set that should work well with the K2 -
and that is the one for the Icom (Heil number HM-iC)  perhaps you could
arrange an exchange.

In general the Icom mics use an electret element with high output level -
the audio input needs of the K2 and the Icom are similar.

If you do wish to retain the HC-5 element, then your best choice is to use a
pre-amp.  There are work-arounds such as changing the value of KSB2 R14, but
IMHO, the best all-around solution is to use a pre-amp and set the pre-amp
gain to provide the output needed by the K2.  If I recall correctly, the
proper output level is -40 dBm.

73,
Don W3FPR