On Saturday 09 December 2006 13:59, Vic wrote:

> The main problem is this:  How would Elecraft support the K2 if the
> firmware could be changed?  Could anyone guarantee that his change to,
> for example, the frequency control, didn't impact the t/r switching?
> Note that slowing down the code in one place might make it impossible to
> perform another function in time.

  It's not a problem.  Elecraft could refuse to give support
except for K2s with original firmware.
  Experimenting is a big part of Amateur Radio.
I wouldn't be afraid to change the firmware and programme a
new chip, keeping the original in case of problems.
 A condition of using the source could be that derivations,
binary and source can't be published but may be submitted
to Elecraft to see if they're worthy to be included in the next
offical issue.   Lots of people working on software can improve
it beyond the ability of the original author, or any one of the
contributors - Linus Torvalds keeps control over the gnu/linux
kernel but he encourages others to contribute.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR, K2 #4962