I don't want to over do this subject, but Dohn's comment is perfectly stated and should be taken very seriously. I'm sure putting a manual together for project as complex as the K-2 is a daunting task. In nearly every respect, the manual is flawless. But this LCD "film" issue is a troublesome one for a first time builder not familiar with these components. I spent a long time anguishing over the question of whether to peal the back off the LCD, and eventually made the correct decision. But as you go along with this construction project, you'd like to think careful construction, not correct guesses, would better assure success.

The addenda materials could relieve this confusion considerably with a more elaborate description of this "film." The nature of this kind of project for a builder is that constant perfection is a critical requirement, not a luxury. The manual has to subscribe to the same high standard however difficult it may be to achieve.

Jimmy Walker
WA4ILO
Macon, GA

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I think part of the anxiety is that it is the first place you come to in
your otherwise straightforward manual that you must make a decision that is
not clear cut and does not have a picture to back it up.  It is a small
decision but as I remember it says "thin film" but be careful not to peel
away the backing.  At least for me, I didn't know what Elecraft meant by
thin film verses backing.  Many of us hadn't seen an LCD component like that
right out of a bulk box.  Never saw one with a thin film protecting the
backing to know what one without looks like.  What is the difference between
a thin film and what is a backing when you've never seen either one and
wired up trying to do a perfect job?  It is clearly an important step and
one you want to complete.  PERFECTLY.  So ask the reflector.  That is why I
think you see this so often.  Just my .02 cents worth.

73
Dohn N8EWY