I recently bought a Heil 'Handi-MIc' with the Icom element (designated
HM-IC).  It works fine without a preamp, but does need the resistor to
bias the electret element.  Rather than removing the front panel and
wiring the jumper, I just opened up the connector shell on the mic and
soldered the resistor between the appropriate pins on the connector.
(I'm away from home at the moment and don't have the diagram to tell
you which pins, but it's pretty easy to figure out.)  The microphone
seems to work very well.  I assume this would work with other Heil mics
with the Icom element.

Bernie
W1AZ

Hi, sorry if this repeats previous information request, but I did a lot of
searching and didn't find anything directly on point (even though there were
several threads on preamps and Heils, etc.)

I downloaded the Microphone Pre-Amp for Heil  schematic on the Elecraft
website.

My questions are:
1.  Does anybody make a PCB for this  project?  I imagine all these parts are
available from Radio Shack  or Mouser?

2.  Does the preamp make the microphones  work really well, or is it just
something that "gets you  by?"

3.  As far as Heil microphone modules go,  if I build the preamp, and want to
buy the Classic, can I use any module, like  the Pro, HC-5, HC-4, etc., or
should I get the ICOM only module, which I believe is an electret module. I am
a bit confused about all this.  I asked  Elecraft and they said I should get
the electret module. Bob Heil said the Classic was not a good choice for the
K2 and he suggested his iCM mic for  ICOM.  Doesn't the iCM mic have the same
electret element  that the Classic with the  IC element has?  If all I needed
was  an electret element, do I need the preamp at all, or does it make the
electret  work even better?

4.  Once I build the preamp, is it  something that I can tuck into the
microphone itself (like a Heil Classic) or does it go inside the K2 or do I need to
put it into it's own little  enclosure.

Thanks for your help.  I am a new ham, and  am trying to sort through all
this stuff.
Christ Kacoyannakis
K4CMK