Dave,

The stock K2 works best with a high output mic.  The previously available
Elecraft MH2 and MD2 were high output electret mics (the ProSet-K2 was
also).  Unfortunately, the MH2 and MD2 are not currently available.  The
folks at Elecraft are trying to find suitable replacements, but so far no
announcements about that.

In the absence of actual Elecraft microphones, the Icom mics are the ones
that use the electret type element, and a line of those mics is available
from Heil - unfortunately, the Heil "iC" microphones have the Icom pinout,
so the easiest route is to just use the mic as-is and set the K2 mic
configuration header for Icom.

For those who want an electret mic at a more economical price, take a look
at the Ten Tec 701 mic priced at $28.  It comes with a 4 pin plug that must
be changed to an 8 pin, but the advantage is that you can wire it for the
Elecraft mic pinout, so that when Elecraft finds a good supplier for their
own line of mics, users can just plug in the new mics.

73,
Don W3FPR