Stuart,

In the old Ham Radio Magazine, a 1988/89 issue there
is a very simple circuit called a PHASOMETER by the
author. It uses as zero center meter (although you
could set up LEDs to perform the same way) to
determine which side of resonance your antenna on.

The specific purpose for this unit was for determining
which way to skew your inductor to tune your mobile
antenna. The author was going to incorporate it with
an earlier motor driven inductor. He also suggested it
as a tool for vision impaired folks.

I thought that it would be useful for increasing
bandwidth tuning for a low band antenna.

If you're interested, I can find the article when I am
back home sunday and make a copy. I have the article
for the mobile tuner as well.

Cheers,
Julius
n2wn