David,

If your amp only requires 30 watts for full drive AND it is truly linear, you should be able to tune it successfully with a 5 to 10 watt input where the power is a bit more steady and then increase the level to obtain full output. Just a suggestion.

If the variation is quite bothersome, your K2/100 may be a candidate for increasing the value of R98 (on the bottom of the RF Board) to slow down the power variation. If you increase it too much, the power output on the higher bands may decrease (check that with the basic K2, not with the KPA100 powered). In most cases, about 1k is the upper limit for the value, but if your K2 has greater gain than the average, you may find success with even higher values. It is easiest to substitute a 2k pot for R98 when testing for the best value, then measure the pot resistance and put in the nearest fixed value resistor.

This procedure is listed on the Elecraft website - in Builder's Resources IIRC.

73,
Don W3FPR

David Douglass wrote:
Jeff,

This variation in power out during tuning seems quite normal to me, and my
K2(100) does exactly the same..

It never used to bother me but I recently bought a Emtron DX-1 amp, and it
makes tuning the amp pretty tricky.. I only need about 30w to drive the amp
to full output, but during tune up the power out from K2/100 will creep up
and trip out the Overdrive on the amp. It would be nice to just dial up the
required power from the K2 you wanted and get it, but I suppose I'll just
have to live with this little quirk. I still wouldn't trade K2 for another
radio!!

David, VK2NU