Hello John:

Tnx much for the reply. The G5RV is as straight as gravity will allow and the 450 ohm line is indeed perpendicular to the flattop. I use a Palomar 1500CV with it and it works well. That said, I prefer my 33 ft 40 meter vertical with 37 radials and the 40 meter loop.
Jozef WB2MIC

John Magliacane wrote:
--- Jozef Hand-Boniakowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A few years back I bought a Buxcom G5RV and running 600 watts into it, the balun that it came with was toast. I replaced it with 10 turns of coax wrapped around a Folger's coffee can.

So, you replaced the balun you normally use with New Folger's Crystals.  :-)

Seriously though, I've given this situation a lot of thought, and I'm not
thoroughly convinced an unshielded choke located in the nearfield of a
radiating structure would necessarily attenuate currents flowing on the outside
of the transmission line's shield.

I think even a perfectly functioning, perfectly shielded balun *at the antenna
feedpoint* might be somewhat moot unless the dipole is perfectly straight, and
the feedline is run exactly perpendicular to the dipole (to equalize coupling
to either side of the antenna).

By the same token, I've often wondered just how "balanced" a balanced feedline
really is under similar circumstances.  Maybe twisting the line might help
improve transmission line balance.  Maybe using a tuner that can compensate for
any voltage/current imbalance might be advantageous, as well.
There are many complicating factors when it comes to antenna installation and
operation.  Fortunately, few, if any, turn out to be of much significance in
the grand scheme of things...

73, de John, KD2BD

Visit John on the Web at:

        http://kd2bd.ham.org/