On 28 May 2007 at 4:04, K2RQ wrote:

> 3.  What's wrong with the K2 for cw contesting (IMHO)
>
> A.  The QSK is almost worthless.  At the first setting above ., you
> just can't hear between the dits and dahs.  And at zero, it's too
> noisy.
>
> B.  Every time I change antennas (even on the same band), I have to
> depress the TUNE button so that I can get "stable" qrp output (5
> watts).  This is an extra step I did hundreds of time this weekend. It
> is now 2nd nature, but a royal pain (yes, all my antenna are resonant,
> but just not "the same" according to the K2.
>
> C.  The AGC is not set up correctly.  Weak signals are, well, too weak
> (audio) and strong signals blow my ears off.  The AF knob is my
> friend...but I don't want it to be.

I think there will be many many on this reflector who will strongly
disagree with your comments. OK, the K2 isn't perfect but most of us
have never had the problems you mention...

I had a little play in WPX, mainly to fill some band slots for my
2007 totals. Conditions were mixed, very little in the way of real DX
but excellent sporadic E conditions into Europe on 10m and 15m. Only
334 QSOs, but was really only doing it seriously for the last 12
hours or so.

I have used the K2, barefoot at 5W, many times in contests over the
years. It works great for me. The QSK is not ideal in that you cannot
hear between dots, but it is perfectly adequate for hearing what is
going on when you are calling. I have no problems with switching
noise.

I NEVER touch the Tune button - my long wire was tuned with the KAT2
when I last made antenna changes some years ago and it remains tuned
just as I like it. On changing bands there is a momentary delay while
the rf level adjustment makes its decisions, hardly noticeable. On
the lower bands where the antenna is fairly narrow band I have to
give the power level control a gentle tweak to trigger it to do a re-
power adjust if I move an appreciable distance in frequency. Other
than that, it works just as it should.

I have never noticed problems with AGC.

Maybe you have a fault with your K2??

73 Dave G3YMC