Bill Gates has written lots of code. He is (or at least was) a truly outstanding programmer. Years ago he was known to review code, find something he didn't like and call up the programmer and give 'em hell. MS Programmers have also been known to suddenly receive bonuses as stock options because Bill liked their code. The very highest status a programmer could hope to achieve was having been recognized by Bill in this way.

Also, PC-DOS has always been on the market. In fact you can still buy a copy (version 8.0). It has always been maintained separately from MS-DOS since its inception. A significant portion of PC-DOS was (and still is) strictly blue-code.

Bill bought QDOS for $40,000 cash and some vague promises about further deals. Many, many companies have looked back at their dealings with Bill and realized they've been had. BigTime. The dirty dealings with IBM are by far the worst thing on Bill's list of dirty tricks and double-crosses.

73, Doug -- K0DXV

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
That's the story I remember. Gates has been great at acquiring other peoples
projects and turning them into gold..I'm not sure he's ever actually written a
line of code!

Doug
W6JD

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Brian Lloyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>