On Jun 3, 2007, at 1:54 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

That's the story I remember. Gates has been great at acquiring other peoples projects and turning them into gold..I'm not sure he's ever actually written a line of code!

Gates certainly did write code back in the early, early days of Microsoft. As late as the mid-90's, he also performed code-reviews of various programmers. (A good review from Gates was apparently a good career boost)

From the book "Programmers at Work" (c 1985), Gates talked at length about some of his programming and design tasks. One that stays with me is the bit about how Excel implements Cut, Copy, Paste. He came up with some clever behavior to limit the amount of temporary memory needed.

Of course, 22 years later, that non-standard behavior is the bane of anyone using Excel. I know it causes me frustration every time I use Excel....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901