Ken and list:

Generally speaking, if I hear a station calling CQ with /QRP, I'll answer with /QRP. Particularly on domestic QSOs, I'm more interested in working other QRP stations than high powered stations. Thus, when I hear "/QRP" I do not hear it as "please take pity," but rather as "here's an interesting QSO in the offing."

It is usually not a good idea to sign "/QRP" in contests or DX pileups; in those circumstances, the station being called by multiple callers answers the first call he/she makes sense of; either the loudest or the shortest. Anyway, contest action moves too fast to allow for unnecessary information.

As for legality, for FCC licensed stations, signing "/QRP" is perfectly legal. FCC Regs 97.119(c) allows for "self-assigned indicators." There is an interesting gotcha to the rule. The last sentence of the regulation says "No self-assigned may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC rules, or with any prefix assigned to another country." Q signals, including QRP, pose no such conflict. However, as W3BE points out, other popular "self-assigned indicators" are illegal, particularly "/M," commonly used by mobile stations, a prefix assigned to the UK, and "/R" commonly used by repeaters, a prefix assigned to Russia, and used for special ham callsigns for Russian WW2 veterans.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK