In a recent message, R Atkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote ...
I want this radio REALLY bad, but it's very difficult to wait for it when I've worked through my tech, general, and extra class since the announcement, have to wait 4 more months still, have nothing but a mobile 2m, and can have any of several (admittedly lesser) radios at my door the next day.

As an interim measure, Rusty, why not build a simple CW rig for 40 meters? It could be a basic crystal oscillator and low power PA, possibly using vacuum tubes. There are plenty of crystals and suitable components around. This would enable you to practise your CW skills and get some experience on HF before your "big rig" arrives. You will already have a receiver of course - the one you have been using for short wave listening before getting your license.
73
--
David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK