Hi

The resistor and diode in the KBT2 limit the charge current to the internal
battery but really do not prevent overcharging. If the input voltage to the
K2 id about .2-.3 volts greater than the float charge value of the battery
(13.8V) then all is well but if the voltage is higher you may overcharge the
battery. The switch off point on my solar controller is set at 14.1 volts.
With the duty cycle the average voltage to the battery will be about 13.8
volts or equal to the float charge rating of the battery. If the charge
controller is connected to the K2 power input the diode drop in the battery
charging circuit would lower the voltage switching point to the battery and
the battery will not come up to a full charge. There are two ways to solve
this problem. The best way is to install a fused connector on the back of
the K2 that connects directly to the battery terminals. The solar controller
would connect to this connector when using a solar panel to charge the
battery. A power supply will still operate the K2 and charge the battery
through the normal power input when not using the solar panel. The other way
to solve the problem is to increase the controller switching point to about
14.5 volts by installing a 220K resistor at R9. I have not tried this but
should work. The controller would plug directly into the K2 power connector
to charge the battery. If you use this method then the controller should not
be connected directly to the battery.

Thanks

Don Brown
KD5NDB