Don and Don are more qualifued than I am to answer this, and they already have, but I wanted to point out another option. With the KBT2, the 10W panel may be too big, and you can use a 5W solar panel and the KBT2 without a charge controller *if* the K2 is on and the current draw is about the same as the panel output. For example, the Northern Tool flexible folding panel for $40 puts out 340ma at noon, and my K2 with all options (DSP) on, pulls 320ma. I monitor the battery voltage and plug in the panel directly to the extra battery connection Don mentioned. When the K2 is off or if I want to charge the battery and turn off options, I use Don's controller inline.

Result: after my FD operation 1B2B/WNY (we were driving to Canada from Syracuse) I found my KBT2 fully charged.

73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU