Doug,

As a collector of photographs (good Daguerreotypes
aren't as easy to find as they once were), I think
more folks here would prefer doing them.

You can easily draw an analogy between electronic
construction and Daguerre's process. The folks who
succeeded had to be able to polish and coat the plates
(in the earliest days cut the sheets of copper to
size), build their own cameras and lenses, pose the
subjects, light the subjects, develop the plates (VERY
nasty chemicals involved), mat, mount, and seal the
images. Each image was unique. Exposure times were
long and often you see blurred images, particularly of
children. The images most sought after are from
individuals who did know how to draw, or at least the
concepts of drawing.

Homebrewers would have loved this. There are several
places where you can still learn the process and
current images command a healthy price.

My preference is still for a hard copy of the manual
and a PDF. If I need to refer to the manual, I don't
want to turn the computer on every time. The PDF
allows me the option to print out selected pages,
carry them with me, get them covered in coffee or Coke
and not need to worry about it.

Frankly, I think we waste more paper now than we did
ten years ago. Streaming video is too slow for my
taste as well, too much irrelevant stuff IMHO.

Cheers,
Julius
n2wn

"The announcement that the Daguerreotype "requires no
knowledge of drawing...." and that "anyone may
succeed.... and perform as well as the author of the
invention" was greeted with enormous interest, and
"Daguerreomania" became a craze overnight. An
interesting account of these days is given by a writer
called Gaudin , who was present the day that the
announcement was made."