[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The lower you go, the better, because you get more samples per Hz of signal. (If you are sampling a 15 kHz signal 150,000 times per
second, that's 10,000 samples per Hz, but if you were to sample a 150
kHz signal the same number of times per second you only get 1000 > samples per
Hz.) All else being equal, more samples per Hz is better, as
is more bits per sample.

This doesn't make sense to me. In a quadrature system, you only need to sample at a sampling *rate* equal to the bandwidth (you meet the Nyquist condition because the I and Q samples effectively double the rate). In practice you would want to sample based on the skirt bandwidth, not the nose bandwidth.

I believe some DSP based receivers actually sample a band limited IF directly, at the bandwidth dictated sampling rate.

Going low probably makes the whole process more reliable.
--
David Woolley