John,

Did the KAT100 come with a cable to hook it up? If so, it should have 3 connectors on that cable. The center one plugs into the K2/100, the one at the (usually longer) end with a female DE9 connector (has sockets not pins) on it will plug into the computer. The shorter end with the male DE9 connector is intended to connect to the KAT100. If you were not supplied with that cable, the instructions for building it are in the KAT100 manual. DO NOT CONNECT A STANDARD COMPUTER SERIAL CABLE TO THE K2! The K2 to computer cable has only 3 conductors wired - pins 2, 3, and 5 plus a shield is connected at the K2 end only.

You are on your own in selecting a USB to serial adapter - some work fine while others do not. The Elecraft adapter (see the K3 order page) has been tested and known to work with both the K2 and K3.

I am not certain why you consider the KAT100 connections difficult, someone must have given you bad information. Of course, the KAT100 needs a power cable, but the other connections are only 2 - a short coax between the K2/100 and the RF Input jack of the KAT100 plus the DE9 connector between the K2/100 and the KAT100. Nothing more, nothing less - 3 connectors and 1 or 2 antennas. The KAT100 will allow you to connect 2 antennas and switch between them, it will remember the tuning for each antenna on each band, so there is no need to re-tune when switching from band to band - the KAT100 takes all the work out of it and makes band changes almost an instant process - just tap the BAND+ or BAND- buttons on the K2.

73,
Don W3FPR

John Klokis wrote:
Good afternoon
this is John Klokis, kb3hqh. I recently became a proud owner of a Elecraft K2 with 100 watt option and automatic antenna tuner. I would like to ask you for some help in getting the right computer cable to run the setup I have with my computer. I do not need to run the antenna tuner if it is to complicated to interface. I canuse an outboard tuner. I do not have a serial port with my new desktop. I only have USB ports. I am running a Ten Tec Jupiter with a serial port to USB cable from radio shack. I can not connect this cable to the K2. I have been reading on the reflector that the computer cable is different on the K2. Is this correct? And can you advise me on what cable to use with a USB port? Is there a cable that I can use just with a USB port and software to install the cable?