John,

Elecraft does not sell pre-assembled cables. The one you have there sounds like it is the correct one. It is both a serial cable (the long end) and a K2 to KAT100 communication cable. The conductors used are different on each end of the cable.

You must connect the *center* DE9 connector to the K2 - if you tried connecting the extreme end to the K2, it will not work for computer communications (that far end goes to the KAT100 only).

The adapter sold by Elecraft is similar to the one you have - it is not a cable, just a USB/serial adapter, but has been tested with the K2 and K3.

N4PY software does continuous polling of the radio in an effort to connect, so it will normally connect after you get things right.

Do you have the menu PORT parameter set to ON? (secondary menu)
Do you have the computer serial port (the virtual one from the USB/serial adapter) characteristics set as the K2 requires? (see the KIO2 instruction manual or the KPA100 manual - download the manuals from the Elecraft website if you don't have these).

I have no idea why the N4PY software crashed - Carl writes quite stable code. I seriously doubt if you could damage the K2 as long as you did not connect a standard serial cable to it and the computer.

73,
Don W3FPR

John Klokis wrote:
first of all I want to thank everyone for replying to my question.  I should
have told you how I hooked it up.  I have the regular k2 cable that interfaces
with the antenna tuner, then goes into a long cable with the serial connector.
so it has three serial connectors.

I plugged a radio shack serial port to usb cable into the female connector that goes to the computer and thenthe usb connector into my computer. I had already installed the software for the Radio Shack cable.
Then everytime i ran the software (n4py) , my computer crashed and rebooted
itself.   Did the software get corrupted in the radio control program, or was
the radio shack serial port to USB cable not the right cable to use?

And what kind of cable the Elecraft sell.  Does it have the three serial
connectors on?  Then where is the USB connector?  Or does it have two serials
and one USB conector.