On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:53 AM, Julian G4ILO wrote:

If a product was available that offered these features with the same
operating convenience you get with an internal ATU then I'd join those
who have already said they'd buy it.

Something that should not be overlooked is acoustic noise generated by an antenna matching unit (ATU) if it is to be used outside, relays clattering away at 2am could upset the neighbours! Far better is the 'purr' of a motor driven capacitor used in an 'old fashioned' link coupled matching unit, nevertheless I have mine in a soundproofed box.

My wish is that the designers of commercial tuners would allow tuning to be achieved with milliwatts of RF rather than watts, which is feasible. IMHO tuning with RF levels above a few milliwatts erp is anti-social in terms of QRM.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD