On Nov 14, 2007 3:42 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is acceptable for an importer to certify products as long as he does so
> within the legal requirments.  He can then quite legally fix the appropriate
> CE label and provide a Certificate of Compliance.   I could not comment as to
> whether W & S follow the requirments.  Anyone has the right to view the
> Certificate of Compliance for any product within the EC.  The importer then
> becomes the "responsible vendor."

But if I'm importing it to use, not to sell, does this matter? The
body responsible for CE marking here is Trading Standards. They are
unlikely to even find out about it since I am not a trader. Toby makes
a valid point as concerns resale, but being pragmatic, we don't live
in a bureaucratic police state where officials go through the small
ads checking on what people are selling, so whether it's legal or not,
it's certainly going to be "under the radar".

I think the only issue that may concern Elecraft is if it is likely
that imports are going to be stopped at customs and returned at their
expense. If it's OK for goods to be certified at this end then it
obviously isn't illegal to import uncertified goods therefore customs
isn't going to be bothered.
--
Julian, G4ILO K2 s/n: 392  K3 s/n: ???
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com