OK, I know this thread is over two weeks old, but I have to chime in.

I have two of the 275 watt Johnson Matchboxes. One needs repairing right
now. I think the 80 meter switching is defective.

I borrowed an idea from a review on eham.net. The Matchbox doesn't do well
with low impedances. The reviewer said to use a toriodal Un-Un to step down
the impedance. And it works! A toroid at the input doesn't suffer from the
disadvantages that the toroid on the output as a balun does. It will always
see a non-reactive load when you tune the Matchbox. The only real downside
is the extra gadget hanging off of the Matchbox with coax leads.

Another idea is to move the tap on the input link closer to the grounded
end. I moved it down a couple of turns. My delta loop with balanced feeders,
wouldn't tune on 80 without the Un-Un mentioned above. Moving the tap down a
couple of turns did trick.

It is too bad the link coupled tuners aren't made anymore. Yes MFJ makes the
974H. I have it and it does match well on all frequencies. But the small
knobs are touching to work it on some loads. Also the review in 9/2004 QST
showed to 974H not to be as efficient on the lower bands on lower
impedances. The Matchbox showed real high efficiency. The Un-Un might reduce
the efficiency a little, but it is way better than an output balun. Moving
the input coil tap is probably the most efficient of all.

I hope this info helps some of those how have a Matchbox, but are frustrated
by the limited tuning range.

73,

Steve N6VL
K2 #2289