Let's use a bit of logic here: It's not possible to pass judgement on the future resale value of low SN units, except in retrospect. Who knows what the future will bring? Perhaps, for whatever reason, there will be hardware revisions which make the K3 mark II, mark III, etcetera more desirable.

Even if that doesn't occur, a lower SN would denote an older unit, and would therefore be considered less desirable, except perhaps for the very lowest SN's.

Analagous with this, IMO, folks need to recalibrate their thinking with respect to radios. The days of buying a Collins S-Line, and having a top-line rig for 30 years, are OVER.

Nowadays, radios are essential computers with enough RF hardware to let them RX and TX. We all know what the PC/computer/semiconductor markets looks like: they get better/faster/cheaper every month. A ten year old PC? No thanks! It'll be the same with radios. Imagine what'll be possible in DSP technology ten years hence! Same with display technology, and networking interfaces. Who would want a 10 year old K3? Not me!

Awhile ago, there was an angst-ridden thread here about the firmware. The general concern was: "What if Elecraft went out of business in five [or some other number well into the future]? What would happen to the firmware code?" I nearly fell out of my chair, laughing. Who cares?! In five years, there will be even cooler/higher performing/less expensive radios available. Folks were getting their panties in a knot based on 50 year old assumptions (that the radio will be viable for a long, long time), and it was an unfortunate waste of perfectly good energy.

I'd also hope that we're able to drag ourselves away from our 1950's, analog-based technology, and move to digital modes. People are asking about AM? Why not spark gap? Let's move FORWARD. We're supposed to be on the cutting edge of technology, and we're not there anymore. Not even close.

All IMO.

73,
Steve NN4X
EL98jh

P.S: Also one of those folks who "misunderstood" that, by paying a down payment, I'd get priority treatment.

 _.    _.   ...._   _.._   [EMAIL PROTECTED]