Some comments on the history of ALC, especially with older transceivers,
that do not have a variable RF output control.

During the early years of transceiver designs, such as the Kenwood TS-930S
and other rigs from that era, these radios were not designed with variable
RF power output controls.

For example, I have my original TS-930S radio from the early 1980s, and it
runs about 130 watts output at full power.

My TS-930S has a Mic Gain control and a Carrier Level control on the same
concentric shaft. Also, this same rig has an input and output Processor
level control.
However, there is no variable RF output control.

As soon as the carrier level control is increased above a certain threshold,
the RF output power immediately jumps up to full output or about 120 to 130
watts.

Note: A Carrier Level Control is NOT an RF power level control.

So, with these older style rigs, ALC is more important when running into an
amplifier that only wants to see 50 to 75 watts.

Any of the modern transceivers all have RF output controls to vary the power
outputs from 5 to 200 watts and also allow you to set the proper RF drive
level.

Therefore, with newer rigs that allow the RF power output to be set, the ALC
is unnecessary.

However, rigs that go to full output, as well as that have power spikes,
would probably save some amplifiers, unnecessary grief by having ALC voltage
protection, against full power drive levels or power spikes on the RF input
of the Amplifier.

Jim
K4PV