Hmm, I went through that a couple weeks ago and I ended up needing to
replace the 8-volt regulator. Elecraft sent me a new one. Check the
output voltage on the 8-volt regulator (LM2930T-8) and see how close
it is to 8 volts.

I'll be interested to see what the more experienced builders have to
say about this... I wouldn't have thought it would be all that common
a problem!

Sarah AF6FH