I'm surprised that folks are going to the trouble and cost of noise reduction headsets, by this I understand they mean ANR ie active noise reduction. Most of the noise reduction in the upper part of the audio band comes from the headphone enclosure (shell) and it's only in the lower audio band that ANR is effective. For domestic/loud voice conditions passive ear protection (ie the headphone shell) *should* be enough. I would like to try this for myself but I would like to hear from anyone who could compare a sturdy conventional headset with ANR types in this respect.

I tried a pair of KOSS 4AA headphones which had very high isolation as good as ear protectors but I couldn't wear them for more than an hour.

For me the biggest issue is comfort after several hours of operating and it is essential for the ear muff to sit on the skull not on the outer ear (pinna). Then it is the seal to the skull that needs to be maintaned; it is even adversely affected by spectacle frames breaking the seal and for some applications thick hair and beard, would you believe? probably not an issue here.

Shouting into the mic might also mean the side tone could be adjusted differently. The higher the attenuation of your own voice back into your ear becomes, the more the brain tells you to raise your voice so you can hear yourself. The telephone people worked this out 100 years ago.

If everyone in a contest room used *normal* voice and could hear their own side tone at a good level, then their mic gains could be set to *normal* which would then mean their mics would not pick up their neighbour's voice, (compression is also a big factor in this).

The voices of the contest group need to be optimised as a system not just a collection of separate operators. There are a lot of factors to consider, it's not as simple as it sounds.

So, I wonder if the choice of the ANR Bose headsets was more the comfort and improved passive protection that this new type of headset provided rather than the expensive ANR feature.

I agree that multi contest conditions and kids with noisey toys (including us?) test operators in ways not normally associated with radio.

David
G3UNA

A big hunk of the target market for the K3 is contest stations.  Many
contest stations are making the move to the noise reduction headsets.  I
don't believe most hams would pay extra for it, and a couple of months
ago I likely would not have either.  But now that my radios are sharing
space with the kids and their XBOX, I am having to re-think this.
-