Jim,

I can think of a few good reasons, the first is "one stop shopping." That is, convenience. The second is, if the radio manufacture caries a compatible product, you are assured that it will be configured correctly and have the same general quality and performance levels. And while yes, you could go direct to the manufacture, it's sometimes nice to have that little funky "E" on an OEM version of the same thing. Every time you raise a Icon, Yaesu, Kenwood or other "branded" mike to use it, the one thing you'll be reminded of is the manufacturer. I would expect that none of them make their own elements. I think the advertising value of an OEM microphone alone is worth the trouble.

   ... IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion)...

   Regards,

   kurtt

   Kurt Pawlikowski, AKA WB9FMC
   The Pinrod Corporation
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   (773) 284-9500
   http://pinrod.com

Jim McDonald wrote:
Why carry any microphones (or keys, for that matter)?  Why act as a retailer
for any standard accessories that can be purchased from dealers or the
manufacturer? It seems a distraction to me.
Jim N7US