On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 18:14 -0800, Rick Tavan N6XI wrote:
> Isn't it great that the K3 supports external keyers through the KEY jack so
> we can all have it our own ways? Such foresight! Such imagination!

An external keyer cannot be used to send RTTY or PSK31 using the
paddles. For that you need to use the internal keyer.

The CMOS4 is the most versatile feature-rich keyer that I know of that
would also fit with the K3's keyer User interface (4 memory buttons and
a speed control)

The CMOS4 supports a wide range of keying styles (including various
modes without dot/dash memories) , has an intuitive morse driven user
interface, Supports macros and has a wide range of other features.

The macro features would be particularly useful for RTTY and PSK use, as
well as CW. Especially if one is at the receiving end of a pileup.

The current K3 keyer is good but very basic, it would be nice if we
could have all the features of the CMOS4 in there.
Rather than reinventing the keyer, perhaps licencing the code for (or
having on a small internal daughter-board) the CMOS4 could be
considered. it would be a fantastic option to have.

I am sure that winkeyer has become the way to go for computer based
keying however it's hard to see how winkeyer's serial protocol would be
in any way compatible with simultaneous use of the K3's serial protocol
for rig control on the same com port.
The K3 already has 2 keying options for computer keying; Keying via
DTR/RTS and keying via Elecraft's serial protocol.

I notice with interest that the latest version of the winkeyer
(winkeyer2) now implements a subset of the CMOS4 keyer functions and
command set for standalone use, However a number of keying modes and and
some useful features are missing. Perhaps the biggest omission is the
ability to decrement the sent serial number by pressing 2 memory buttons
simultaneously.

73 es happy new year

Brendan EI6IZ

--
Don‘t complain. Nobody will understand. Or care. And certainly don‘t try
to fix the situation yourself. It‘s dangerous. Leave it to a highly