David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
I'd like to get a list of KNOWN frequencies of broadcast stations in 10 -
40m in the UK - it's been pointed out tpo me that using BBC WS at 648 KHz is
a not so good, because its a low freq.

The World Service is on on multiple HF frequencies and there are also BBC transmissions for specific regions. I imagine the BBC web site will give details. The actual high precision BBC transmission is at 198.0000000000 kHz, but that is even lower in frequency.

In practice, though, most Euopean HF broadcast stations are on properly assigned frequencies and therefore are on multiples of 5kHz. You will probably get quite a good estimate by simply finding the largest cluster of stations with the same apparent offset from this, which will represent your tuning error. (European LF and MF stations use 9kHz channels. Droitwich used to be on 200.000000000 kHz, before this was standardized.)

With a respectable crystal, you should be well within 300Hz at 30MHz, so there should be no problem in knowing which 5kHz you are on.

(Hope I have the right number of zeroes in the above, and that Droitwich is still a frequency standard.)

--
David Woolley