Folks,

I find the internal keyer of the K3 a joy to use but normally I find it more
convenient to use my Microham CW keyer as it gives CAT, and interfaces with
the contest loggers.

I have noticed however that with the Microham output plugged into the 'Key'
input at the rear of the K3 and all the keying settings in the router set to
default, that the elements are significantly shortened when observed on my
analogue scope; instead of a 1:1 dit to space ratio on a dit string it is
more like 40 to 60 or worse at a guess and the cw sounds decidedly choppy.

I can sort this my adding 10ms to the 'keying compensation' parameter in
Router; it then looks and sounds fine. I was just wondering if, and why this
should be the situation, particularly since the element timings look
absolutely fine when my key is plugged straight into the 'paddle' input on
the K3 and not via the Microham. Sorry I can't be more objective with
timings, difficult without a storage 'scope......

While observing the keying waveforms, I would say the leading edge looks
fine but the back edge has got a definite sharp transition which could do
with some smoothing; no sign of overshoot but it must sound hard judging by
the corner shape. Does anyone have any pix of keying waveforms for me to
compare...?

73,

Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF  (K3 #145)