Bryan

You can set the S-Meter to whatever you want, given that most other HF transceiver S-Meters are nowhere near as accurate as that in a K3. The recommended setting with firmware ver 1.66 is SMTR SC=14 and SMTR OF=24 (from the firmware notes), whether you calibrate yours with the pre-amp on or off is a personal choice depending on your use of the pre-amp. As I mostly use the bands from 80m to 20m without a pre-amp, I calibrated mine without the pre-amp.

I find my K3 to have a very accurate S-Meter, when set for S9 = 50 uV pd (-73 dBm), S9 + 20 = -53 dBm, S9 + 40 = -33 dBm and S9 + 60 = -13 dBm. It's not bad down to about S6, but I'm not too concerned about that.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80
http://www.astromag.co.uk/k3/

I am fully satisfied with my K3 s/n 181, in every respect, it exceeds my expectations, thank you Elecraft and company. I am puzzled by the reference on page 9 to Nom S9=50microvolts, preamp on, and for the setup of [MAIN] SMTR SC. As arrived the settings gave me S9 as 50microvolts, preamp off, using my XG1. I seem to have been puzzled when I built my K2, s/n 4421 as well.
Whats the correct method ?

73 Bryan GM3AKF