Hi Dave,
I am curious what version of firmware you're running in your K3.  My K3 (SN
312) is running the latest firmware (MCU 1.66 & DSP1 1.52).  I have CONFIG
menu "SMTR OF = 024 & SMTR SC = 014) with PRE AMP on.  As expected my
S-Meter reads S9 with 50uv applied from a XG1 signal generator.  However,
when tuning in local broadcast stations, which are S9+50 db on three other
receivers, my K3 only reads S9+20 db.  In addition, if I turn my RF Gain
Control fully counter clock wise (anti clock wise) the S-Meter only reads S7
rather then full scale.  I thought this S-Meter performance was a known
problem that was being address by Elecraft.  However reading your post makes
me think I have a serious AGC problem in my particular K3.  Have any others
experienced the same results I have or does your S-Meter read full scale
with RF Gain turned all the way down?  If you tune into nearby broadcast
stations or have a signal generator what is the maximum your S-Meter reads
with a given input?

I'm returning my K3 to Elecraft for repair of an audio problem (no internal
speaker or external speaker audio unless CONFIG menu "SPKR+PH=yes".  Then I
have audio.  Acts like I always have headphones plugged in (which I do not).
Also do not have "LIN OUT' audio when connected to known good computer
soundcard.  I figure while it's at Elecraft if I have an S-Meter/AGC problem
I'll have that fixed too.  So the question is: am I the only one who has an
S-Meter response as described above?

Thanks for any input,
Frank - W6NEK