Charley,

> My dictionary says "troll" is an elf or gnome or other part
> human creature (that often lives under bridges).

In the on-line world a troll is an evil little creature who
inhabits forums/newsgroups/e-mail lists who writes things to
cause trouble and generate discontent or controversy.  The act
of doing so is "trolling."

The term has been in use for 20 years or more and most certainly
had its genesis in the behavior of that mythical little gnome
who lived under bridges and caused problems for those traveling
across.  I'm sure that a modern "on-line aware" dictionary would
include the more recent definition.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV