I agree Bill, using a narrower DSP width or shifting the PBT is what I use
to push out an offending CW signal. I do use the notch filter (manual) when
I want to listen to CW with a wider DSP filter and eliminate a BC carrier. I
find that it works great in that situation.

I usually work the novice ends of the CW segments, and there aren't as many
CW sigs out there to contend with, but the BC stations pop in and out at
different times of the day. Most of the time, I like to listen with a wider
filter setting and notching out the BC carriers works really well for me,
YMMV.

With close in CW signals, pulling the DSP filter in and/or shifting the PBT
usually works well for me even with sigs only a couple of hundred Hz away.
At this point, I am no contester - only a casual op, so again, YMMV.

73,
Dave W8FGU