1.  Cost since you'll eventually want two.  That's
savings pushing $600 (even more with the KRX3).

2.  See comments below by N6WG.  I've already installed
several mods including two using SMD parts.  Eventually
a Service Manual is also promised.

N6WG:
>My own feeling is that if I build a radio, if it ever
needs to be worked on, I have no trouble lifting the lid
and rummaging around in it.  After all, I put all those
little pieces in place myself.  Same applies to doing
mods to the radios or upgrades.

3.  Learn more about how it works.

4.  Fun and pride in making something with my own hands.

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV