Walter Gilles wrote:

> It’s about the Elecraft team, and how they run their
> business.  It has to do with the passion they exhibit
> for what they do, the integrity with which they
> execute their enterprise, and the collaborative
> quality of their customers’ experience.
>
> I own transceivers from the big three offshore
> manufacturers – Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu.  I like what
> I have, but I might as well have purchased them from a
> vending machine.

You hit the nail on the head Walter!  You're buying more than a
product...you're buying part of a company named Elecraft.  I had to chuckle
when I saw the following on the IC-7800 list:

VA7OJ:

"One cannot really compare the Elecraft and Icom R&D operations in any
meaningful way. In the test-equipment world, Wavetek vs. HP/Agilent or R&S
might be a reasonable comparison."

Forgetting the supercilious tone, I have news for Adam.  Indeed you cannot
compare the operations in any meaningful way.  The customer responsiveness
of the Elecraft team is about 100 dB better than Icom will ever be.  I have
the privilege of being on the K3 Field Test team and their engineering
talent and responsiveness is even more awesome than you can imagine.  I've
seen fixes to fairly complex issues implemented in a matter of hours (the
hardware AGC issue comes to mind).  There truly is no comparison to the
customer focus and responsiveness of the two companies.  The most recent
question from Wayne on this list regarding the K3's I/II function being a
very good example.  I don't recall ever seeing any request for direct
customer input from l'Icom.  I wonder if Adam has ever head the story of his
namesake and Goliath?

I've also had the privilege of working for Hewlett-Packard (Test &
Measurement side) for ~30 years.  Elecraft very much reminds me of the
passionate company under Bill and Dave that  I joined in 1966.  That $200M
company then grew to well over $100B today, so small companies sometimes do
become larger ones under good leadership.

Elecraft is totally focused on amateur radio...not the LMR market, not
cellphones, not audio equipment.  Speaking as a ham, that's a very good
thing!  It's also one of the major reasons we're seeing American companies
(Elecraft, Flex-Radio and Ten-Tec) now dominating the performance charts
over larger companies focused on many other markets.  Goliath better wake up
before it's too late!

Welcome to the K3, the company and the community here.

73,  Bill  W4ZV