Tom,

The best R98 value varies a lot from one K2 to another. If the amount of 10 meter gain reduction is acceptable to you, then you have achieved success. Since you ended up with 1.8k, that would indicate that your K2 has greater than average gain. On 10 meters the K2 has the least gain, so that is why 10 meter power reduction is the indicator for the largest value R98 that is feasible.

I find that aligning the 10 meter bandpass at 28.4 MHz will allow better coverage of the 10 meter band. Take your pick here - if 10 meter CW is your major operation, I would suggest that 28.200 is the proper alignment point, but if you want to operate over the greatest section of 10 meters, use a frequency higher in the band. Don't forget to re-align the 12 meter bandpass after aligning 10 meters.

73,
Don W3FPR

Tom Arntzen wrote:
Hi Eric and Don.
I decided to do the k2 power mod involving r98 rf board.
The first thing I did since 10m is the key here was to do a full alignment of 160-10m tx adjust per manual.
When aligning 10m the manual states 28200.
I would sugest that the manual states "highest frequency that would give 10 watts out on 28000khz"
For me that was 28550 which also gave 9,5 watts on 29000.
The max for 29550 was 12 watts.
After adjustments I set PO28 to 10 watts.
So a question for Eric and Don.
I used a 2k pot for the mod and the point where the rf dropped a little was at 1,9Kohms.
I inserted a 1,8Kohms.
The rig is a lot more stable now on all bands.
If you see any concernes here please let me know.
BTW...This buity worked VP6DX 3 times on 20,17,15m cw from a lattitude of 66,2 north.
A little help from THP 1.2KFX I must admit.
And Eric...If I order a K3 now , when would my mothers creditcard be charged? :-)
What would I need in a K3 to do a SO2R with my K2?
K2/100 3829

Tom Arntzen LA1PHA
Mo , NORWAY