I am considering building a multi-band doublet fed with ladder line to the
window and then 10-12 feet of coax to the K3 from the window interface. I
would let the K3 ATU tune the beast. I have been playing with a coax
calculator and with low loss coax and 10:1 SWR the losses in the short run
of coax up to 30MHz are manageable to ½ dB. The ladder line can handle the
mismatch with small losses. I was thinking of putting a sleeve balun at the
window interface from the coax to ladder line. I could of course put two
different length doublets in parallel at the feed point if that would tame
problem bands. I don’t need this antenna to go to 50 MHz as I will have a
separate antenna for 6M. I don’t have antenna modeling software. I know I
will have pattern issues if I try to push a long antenna too high in
frequency. I am not thinking right now of pushing this antenna to 160M.

So now the questions:

1. Is there a magic doublet antenna length that will end up with less than
10:1 SWR on the most bands? I know Cebik likes 88 feet or 44 feet depending
on lowest operating band but I don’t know that he has solved my exact
problem for 10:1 SWR or less on all bands.
2. Is there a magic feed line length to make this all work?
3. Have any of you tried something similar to this with the K3 ATU? I have
read the reports of just tuning up any old antenna that you have and you get
it to work at some unknown efficiency. I have done this too.

I know it is time for me to bite the bullet and purchase some real antennal
modeling tools.

Mike Scott
AE6WA Tarzana, CA
K3/100 SN508