David,

I am sure you are correct in your idea that just as much heat is produced in
the DXE balun as in the Elecraft balun but the heat is easily absorbed by
the huge DXE balun.

I do not have an analyzer to measure impedance at the base of the twin lead.
All I can say is that the KAT 100 is able to provide very reasonable matches
160 thru 10. I have not used my Elecraft Balun lately but if memory serves
correctly it did not provide as good matches at either 1:1 or 4:1 as the DXE
does. Early on I tried shortening the feeder but ended up with the full 100'
for best matching.

If you would like I will run a series of matches on different bands and post
the SWR readings from the KAT100.

-----
Bill Strong
WA5KPE