Bill W5WVO wrote:

>  I've had to repair my Heil foot switch numerous times.
> The little "e" ring that holds the pivot axle in has a habit of coming off
> spontaneously (I completely lost it a while back)

Your description does not match the pivot hardware in my two Heil foot
switches.  So it seems that Heil has gone through a few designs of the pivot
mechanism.

The pivot mechanism in my foot switches consists entirely of a single pivot
screw that is threaded on the end with an unthreaded shoulder up toward the
screw head.  So the pivot screw becomes fixed with the inner half of the
(threaded) clamshell and rotates freely around the outer half of the
(unthreaded) clamshell.  The threads eventually fail and the pivot screws
keeps loosening and falling out.  The kludge fix is to discard the pivot
screws, drill out the holes, and use a single long machine screw as the
pivot axis and secure it on the far end with a nylock nut.

Evidently other Heil designs may be more reliable.  Mine were purchased 5-7
years ago and started to fail about two years later.  Lots of use during ssb
contests.

73,
Barry N1EU