Unless the policy has changed, and I seriously doubt it, Microsoft allows you
to install XP on three different CPUs. When and if you try to load it on a
forth, the activation process will fail and tell you to call customer service.
I had a motherboard fail and was already on #3. I called customer service and
told them that the old machine was dead and the rep actually reset me to zero
(!) so after loading a new machine I have two left. I was prepared for a battle
but I was boviously quite surprised. Either Microsoft is trying to work with
people who play by the rules (and don't steal software) or I was just lucky and
got the right rep.
  In any event, you have nothing but your time to lose by trying to load
another machine and also to ask for help if you need it.
  Ron - W2RIP

DW Holtman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Hello,

I have another off topic question about Windows XP. I have a legal copy on a
generic computer that I bought sometime ago. It came with the CD and the
sticker on the outside with the serial number. Can I load this copy on
another computer and get it registered with Microsoft? I have heard horror
stories about registering with Microsoft. I paid for and own this copy of
XP, but can I move it?

Best,
DW Holtman
WB7SSN