DW Holtman wrote:

I have another off topic question about Windows XP. I have a legal copy on a generic computer that I bought sometime ago. It came with the CD and the sticker on the outside with the serial number. Can I load this

If it has stickers on the computer, the answer is probably no. The only time that you can do this is when you have a full retail version of XP, not an OEM one. If you buy pre-installed Windows it is almost certainly an OEM licenced one, which is at least 50% cheaper than full retail. I think full retail versions have the licence sticker on the media case, although I've never seen one.

copy on another computer and get it registered with Microsoft? I have heard horror stories about registering with Microsoft. I paid for and own this copy of XP, but can I move it?

You don't own the copy. You own the plastic and metal of the media and a licence to use the software. If it is an OEM version, which it almost certainly is, that licence will only allow its use on the original system, although you may upgrade that system. You are not allowed to remove the stickers from the case and move them.

Microsoft's business model depends on people continually updating, and one way of achieving this is to make sure that the copy is obsoleted when the computer is obsoleted.

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to Elecraft products and more general topics related ham radio"