Rick (long answer),

You are most likely mixing RF ground with a 'Mother Earth' ground. They are quite different. The main reason is that RF does not behave like low frequency AC or DC. You are not alone - that fact seems to mystify and confuse many, many hams. I will try to give a conceptual explanation. First understand that I use RF Ground as any point where the RF voltage is zero (note that the RF current will be a maximum at that same point). No other concept of RF ground has ever made any sense to me.

With a balanced dipole antenna (center fed doublet), a point of RF ground will occur at the midpoint of the center feed. That is where the RF voltage crosses zero. If the radiator is fed with a parallel transmission line, the currents on the two conductors will be equal an opposite all along the feedline, so that effective RF Ground point is carried all the way back to the shack along the transmission line.

If one uses coax to feed the antenna, a similar situation exists *inside* the coax - due to skin effect, the inside of the coax shield can be considered as a separate wire than the outside of the shield. The currents on the center conductor and the inside of the shield will be balanced (just like in the parallel transmission line). The problem with coax is at the junction of the radiator and the shield. The RF voltage (and current) on the inside of the shield sees two conductors at that junction 1) the antenna wire, and 2) the outside of the coax shield. A current balun installed at the antenna feedpoint will place a high impedance on the outside of the coax shield while not interfering with the balanced currents between the center conductor and the inside of the shield. So, RF ground is maintained inside the coax - it is a zero potential point that can be visualized as being midway between those conductors. The item that seems to cause the most confusion is that the coax shield can be at ground potential for DC and low frequency AC, but it is *not* at ground potential for RF.

So, you do not need to create an RF ground for your dipole - it already exists.

For a vertical with an elevated ground plane, a similar RF ground exists midway between the vertical radiator and the ground plane (yes, the ground wires radiate and are part of the antenna system - cancellation of the ground wire radiation must be by the physical orientation so the radiation cancels due to phase relationships). If a vertical radiator is ground mounted, the earth takes the place of the ground plane - and actual earth is not a really good conductor of RF, so we usually augment that conduction by burying a lot of radials, the lengths are not critical in those installations because we just want to improve the RF characteristics of the real earth.

Bottom line is that I make the statement that an actual RF ground is a property of the antenna system and is not to be equated to a Mother Earth ground.

73,
Don W3FPR

Rick Dettinger wrote:
If I remember correctly, the base K2 came without the ground screw. Its been a long time. I think the ground screw came with the ATU. The K1 doesn't have a ground screw, even with the ATU. I am confused about the use of an RF ground with a balanced antenna. One of the advantages of a balanced antenna, verses an antenna that works with a ground such as a vertical, is efficiency. If I use an RF ground with a balanced antenna, am I losing efficiency. Especially if the ground is mediocre? I don't want to put down 60 radials for my center fed doublet. When I used my K1 or K2 with a battery and a balanced antenna, I had confidence that most of the power was getting radiated.