Brian

Fine on your progress with this fine rig.  I plan to
continue to enjoy my own K2 as the flagship rig of my
station!

On PSK31 and digital modes -- you don't need to modify
your K2 -- check out the application note posted at
elecraft.com.  essentially all you need is a stereo
cable on receive, a mic connector and a few parts on
transmit, and some means to do the T/R switching.

The kids will 'resonate' with PSK31 based upon their
other PC experiences.

Remember to run the K2 at approx half power when doing
the digital modes !!

I have seen PSK31 at field day, and it tends to be
rather tough in the pile-ups -- so calling CQ may be
preferred if you run QRP-battery/solar.  Meanwhile
PSK31 may be ideal for non-contest operating with your
youth.

This is NOT the ideal time for QRP-SSB !  You just
might need that amp.

Do check the calendar for kids-day events, as this may
charm them more than an array of 599 my state-is
reports.  And consider scheds to other schools or
kids.  Here in Maryland, a contact station is KI3DS.

73, curt