I think the biggest mistake is to worry about making mistakes.  Just get out
there and do it!

Get on between 14.050 and 14.058 (or 7.050 - 7.058) and call CQ or answer a
call.  There are many slow-speed ops out there who are happy to talk to you
and who will probably be making some mistakes themselves.

Good luck and 73,

John, WA6L